Savory Cabbage Rolls
1/10th of recipe = 1 serving. Each serving contains 233 calories,
6.9 g fat (1.8 g saturated), 57mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium.
21.4 g carbohydrates, 5.9 g fiber, 6.5 g sugar.
22.9 g protein.
1head green cabbage
1 lblean ground beef
1/2 lbground pork
1 smallonion, chopped fine
1 cminute brown rice
2 Tbspolive oil
6 oztomato puree, divided
14 1/2 ozcan diced tomatoes
27 ozcan sauerkraut
1/4 tspsalt, or to taste
1/2 tspblack pepper, or to taste
How to Make Savory Cabbage Rolls
- Wash cabbage, and run a sharp knife all around the core. Do not pull core out. Place head core-side down into a large microwaveable bowl with ½ cup water. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cook on high (to start) 6 minutes. Steam repeatedly until you have removed all the cabbage leaves. You will have to steam a little, remove a few leaves, cover and repeat until all leaves are free. Save the inner leaves that are too small to roll, and the bits and pieces. You will use these later. You may need to remove some of the larger thicker veins so the leaves will roll.
- Make filling: In another large bowl, combine the meats, oil, rice, 3 tbsp tomato puree, salt and pepper.
- In each leaf, put 3 tbsp filling at the thick end in the middle of the leaf, about 1 inch from the end. Fold end over filling, tuck both sides up around filling, and roll. Repeat until leaves/filling are used.
- In a 9x13” metal roasting pan, sprayed with nonstick spray, place a layer of the unused pieces of cabbage. This will prevent the rolls from sticking. Then put a layer of cabbage rolls to cover the bottom. Top with half the sauerkraut and all the tomatoes. Add another layer of cabbage rolls, cover with the rest of the sauerkraut, and spread the rest of the puree over the top. Add water just until you see it come up on sides of pan.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 2 ½ hours. (check and adjust time) To serve, place 2-3 cabbage rolls on plate and sauerkraut-tomatoes as a bed underneath or on the side.
- Better made the day before you use them. Next day, bake at 350 degrees until hot (about 45 minutes).