Rosemary Lamb Shanks
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
2 Tbspolive oil
6 14-ozlamb shanks, trimmed
2carrots, 1/4-inch diagonal pieces
2 stalk(s)celery, 1/4-inch diagonal pieces
1 largeonion, thinly sliced
3 clovegarlic, chopped
2 cdry red wine
1 cchicken broth
1 cbeef broth
2 Tbspfresh rosemary, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
·fresh rosemary sprigs
How to Make Rosemary Lamb Shanks
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, add lamb to Dutch oven; brown on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch.
- Transfer lamb to plate.
- Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic to Dutch oven; saute until light brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add 1 3/4 cups wine; bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits, about 2 minutes.
- Add both broths, rosemary and bay leaves.
- Return lamb to Dutch oven; cover. Cook in oven until lamb is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Transfer lamb shanks to platter. Tent with foil.
- Strain cooking liquid, reserving vegetables.
- Discard bay leaves. Return liquid to Dutch oven.
- Boil liquid until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Mix remaining 1/4 cup wine with cornstarch until smooth.
- Add to cooking liquid and simmer until thickened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Return lamb and vegetables to Dutch oven. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Simmer lamb until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange lamb and vegetables on platter.
- Spoon sauce over.
- Garnish with rosemary sprigs and serve.