River Run Rice
Mary Ann Thompson
9 ccooked rice (1/2 brown and 1/2 wild)
3 cchopped celery
6 mediumonions, chopped
3 largebell peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cbutter or margarine
2 can(s)(4 oz. each) sliced mushrooms
4 lbground sausage
How to Make River Run Rice
- Prepare the rice according to package directions. While rice is cooking prepare other ingredients.
- Chop the vegetables and saute on low heat in the butter until tender. Add mushrooms.
- Brown sausage in large skillet until crumbly and well done.
- Mix all ingredients very well in a LARGE baking dish. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour.
- MY VARIATION: Instead of plain brown/wild rice, I use Uncle Ben's Whole Grain & Wild Rice Mushroom Recipe. It takes 3 boxes for this recipe. *** You can change the taste of the dish by using different types of sausage. I love to use 1/2 regular sausage and 1/2 hot sausage. *** Instead of baking in the oven for an hour, I put mine in a large slow cooker and let it set on low until time to serve. All the flavors blend nicely! *** My family also likes to sprinkle cheese on top or maybe a dollop of sour cream. EXPERIMENT! Make it your own!