Rack Of Lamb On Welsh Onion Cake
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
800 gfloury potatoes, such as king edwards or maris piper (approx 1 1/2 lbs)
100 gmelted butter (approx 3 1/2 oz)
400 gwhite onions, sliced
2racks of lamb, each with 6 bones
How to Make Rack Of Lamb On Welsh Onion Cake
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. (400F).
- Peel the potatoes and slice very finely with a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Toss with the melted butter and season with plenty of salt and black pepper.
- Brush a shallow ovenproof dish with a little a little more melted butter.
- Layer the potato and onion in the dish, starting with potato and finishing with a neat layer of overlapping potato slices.
- Drizzle any remaining butter over the top.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, take the lamb out of the fridge to come to room temperature.
- After the onion cake has had an hour in the oven, remove the tin foil.
- Sit the lamb racks on top with their bones interlaced and tuck the rosemary sprig in the middle.
- Return to the oven for 15-25 minutes, depending on the size of the racks and how you like your lamb cooked.
- By now the potatoes should be beautifully tender and browned on the top.