Rack Of Lamb On Welsh Onion Cake
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
- 800 g
- floury potatoes, such as king edwards or maris piper (approx 1 1/2 lbs)
- 100 g
- melted butter (approx 3 1/2 oz)
- 400 g
- white onions, sliced
- racks of lamb, each with 6 bones
- sprig rosemary
How to Make Rack Of Lamb On Welsh Onion Cake
- 1Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. (400F).
- 2Peel the potatoes and slice very finely with a mandolin or sharp knife.
- 3Toss with the melted butter and season with plenty of salt and black pepper.
- 4Brush a shallow ovenproof dish with a little a little more melted butter.
- 5Layer the potato and onion in the dish, starting with potato and finishing with a neat layer of overlapping potato slices.
- 6Drizzle any remaining butter over the top.
- 7Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- 8Meanwhile, take the lamb out of the fridge to come to room temperature.
- 9After the onion cake has had an hour in the oven, remove the tin foil.
- 10Sit the lamb racks on top with their bones interlaced and tuck the rosemary sprig in the middle.
- 11Return to the oven for 15-25 minutes, depending on the size of the racks and how you like your lamb cooked.
- 12By now the potatoes should be beautifully tender and browned on the top.