R.I. Hot Weiners: gaggers (gaggahs), weenies
RI hot weiners have nicknames, such as gaggers (gaggahs), belly busters, weeners, and weenies.
A weiner is typically made from a small, thin frankfurter made of veal and pork, thus giving it a different taste from a traditional hot dog made of beef. Once placed in a steamed bun, the wiener is topped with a meat sauce seasoned with a myriad of spices and covered in finely chopped onions, celery salt and mustard.
Wieners with all the toppings are called "all the way"!
How to Make R.I. Hot Weiners: gaggers (gaggahs), weenies
- 1Lightly brown half of the chopped onion in butter. Add hamburger and stir until the hamburger loosens into small pieces.
- 2Add rest of spices.
- 3Simmer on very low heat for at least 2 hours.
- 4Boil or steam the hot dogs. (use and all beef hot dog as a replacement for the weiners).
- 5Steam the hot dog buns by wrapping them in a paper towel, and place in microwave for a few seconds on high.
- 6Now it's time to build the weiner. The sequence is important and should not be varied, EVER!
1.) Put cooked weiner in bun.
2.) Put yellow mustard on weiner.
3.) Put sauce on mustard.
4.) Put raw chopped onions on mustard.
5.) Sprinkle celery salt on top of onions.