Rev BJ Friley
This is 1 of the many recipes that I have developed over my lifetime of outdoor life.
4 Tbspall purpose flour
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1/4 ccooked, crumbled bacon
1 cdiced onion
4 chot water
1 cchopped fresh parsley
1 tspdry mustard
1 tspseasoning salt
1 cchopped green onion
1 tspground white pepper
1 lblink sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 Tbspgumbo file
·cooked brown or white rice
How to Make QUAIL GUMBO
- Combine flour and grease in a heavy skillet.
- Cook, stirring constantly until roux is the color of a new penny.
- Transfer roux into a stockpot.
- Add bacon and diced onion.
- Cook until diced onion is soft.
- Stir in water, parsley, dry mustard, seasoning salt, green onion and white pepper.
- Add quail.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- In a skillet, brown sausage and drain well.
- Remove quail, debone and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Return quail pieces to liquid.
- Add sausage.
- Prior to serving, stir in gumbo file.
- Serve in bowls over cooked rice.