Pinto Beans in the Instant Pot
1 1/2 lbdried pinto beans, rinsed well but not soaked
8 ozsmoked sausage, sliced
1medium onion, diced
4 cloveminced garlic
1 - 2jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced (optional)
1 tspgarlic powder
1 tsponion powder
1 tspchili powder
1 tspblack pepper
3 cchicken broth, vegetable broth or water
How to Make Pinto Beans in the Instant Pot
- Add all the ingredients to the instant pot. Put enough broth/water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Stir to be sure everything is combined and cover by liquid.
- Secure the lid. Turn the steam valve to "sealing".
- Push “Manual/Pressure Cook" and set the time to 75 minutes.
- When the cycle completes, Natural Release for at least 10 minutes then Quick Release the remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the lid; stir gently. Taste for doneness and seasoning. Occasionally, I have had to add an extra 10 minutes due to the hardness of the water or age of the beans… not sure. If they are not done, put the lid back on and pressure cook for another 5 or 10 minutes.
*The meat used can be diced ham or ham bone, cubed salt-pork, diced bacon, etc. Use whatever you like.
These beans freeze well - freeze in portion-sized containers.