Paula Deen's Shepherd's Pie
- 1 small
- 1 and 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 and 1/2 c
- mixed vegetables of your choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 - 10 medium
- medium red new potatoes
- 1 and 1/2 c
- 12 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 2 c
- biscuit mix (bisquick)
How to Make Paula Deen's Shepherd's Pie
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Beef Layer: Chop and saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Add ground beef. After beef is browned, add tomato sauce; mix in vegetables (except potatoes). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3Potato Layer: Peel and slice potatoes about 1/4 inch thick. Cook in boiling water for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Whip potatoes with electric mixer until moderately smooth - a few lumps are okay. Heat to warm 1/2 cup of the milk and add to potatoes, along with 1/2 cup butter and the sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Whip til mixed, adding a little more milk, if needed, for the desired consistency.
- 4Biscuit Layer: Mix Bisquick and one cup milk. The mixture should be thinner than regular buscuit mix, but not runny.
- 5Spray a 9 by 9 by 2-inch (or similar) baking pan with cooking spray. Layer half-way up with the mashed potatoes. Next, spread the mixed vegetables over the potatoes, then the meat. Pour Bisquick over the meat. Melt 4 tablespoons butter and drizzle over top.
- 6Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until top is golden brown.
- 7If you have leftover pork or beef roast with gravy and vegetables from Sunday dinner, they can be used to make this a quick nd easy mid-week dinner!