PASTRAMI BURGER MELT
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter
- large bermuda onion, thinly sliced
- 1 - 2 lb
- ground beef, 80/20
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- freshly whacked black peppercorns
- 3/4 lb
- deli pastrami, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp
- (about) coarse grained mustard
- 8 slice
- sourdough bread
- 16 slice
- prepackaged velveeta cheese slices
How to Make PASTRAMI BURGER MELT
- 1Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a saute pan over medium heat and add the onions. Season with salt and freshly whacked black peppercorns and saute the sliced onions slowly until a medium dark, golden brown. About 20 minutes. Don't worry about the onions being overwhelmed by the whacked black peppercorns. It's not hot, just tangy. Remove the onions to a platter.
- 2Form the ground beef into 4 patties the same size as the sourdough bread, and season with salt and pepper. Saute until done to your preference in the same pan as the onions.
- 3In the same pan, add the pastrami and saute until very hot.
- 4Heat an electric skillet and add 2 tablespoons of butter. With the remaining butter, butter one side of each 8 slices of the sourdough bread and put into the electric skillet. Brush the other side of the bread with the coarse grained mustard. Top each slice of bread with one slice of the prepackaged Velveeta.
- 5Top four slices of bread with the prepared burger, 1/4 of the hot pastrami, and 1/4 of the prepared onions. Put the other slice of bread on top of the melt and press slightly.
- 6Saute until the cheese starts to melt and the underside is a nice golden brown. Turn carefully and saute until the underside is a nice golden brown. You might have to add more butter. Warning, the cheese will probably melt all over the place.
Serve very hot with lots of paper napkins.