OLD FASHION STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
Green bell peppers are pretty, colorful to look at, and if you prefer red bell peppers for the color, use them. It’s a great thing ~ your whole meal in a stuffed pepper, veggies, carbs and protein! And eating them makes a super supper!
- 6 large
- green bell peppers, tops cut away and seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 c
- finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 c
- finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- 1/2 lb
- ground pork
- 1 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1 pinch
- red pepper flakes
- 2 c
- cooked long or medium-grain white rice
- 8 oz
- tomato sauce
- 1 c
- mozzarella cheese
- water (or chicken broth)
How to Make OLD FASHION STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 F
In a large pot of boiling water, parboil the peppers until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on paper towels.
- 2In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
Add the onions and chopped bell peppers and cook stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes
Add the beef, pork, garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes.
Cook until the meat is browned, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon to break up the lumps, about 6 minutes.
Add the rice and tomato sauce and stir well.
Remove from heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- 3Pour enough water (or chicken broth) into a baking dish just to cover the bottom, about 1/8-inch deep.
Stuff the bell peppers with the rice mixture and place in the baking dish.
Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling in heated through, approximately 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.