Norma's Mushroom Melts
2 Tbspregular mayonnaise or fat free
·juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cfinely chopped red peppers
1 clovegarlic, minced
4 largeportobello mushrooms, caps & stems removed.
1 Tbsplight olive oil
1 Tbspbalsamic vinegar
1 tspdried italian seasoning
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cshredded mozzarella
4 slicered onion
4 largewhole-gran buns or potato rolls
·a few handfuls of arugula, mixed greens or other lettuce of your choice
How to Make Norma's Mushroom Melts
- Heat grill or grill pan. Spray with cooking spray.
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, red peppers, and garlic. (For a uniformly red mayo, puree in a food processor)
- Rub the mushrooms with the olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms on grill, top side down and cook for two to three minutes, flip, and immediately add the cheese.
- Cook for another two to three minutes, until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are fully cooked.
- While mushrooms are cooking, grill the onions until browned. Toast the buns if you wish on the grill after removing the onions if using a grll pan.
- Top each bottom bun with greens,red pepper mayo. Place mushroom on top and cover with grilled onions and top of bun. Serve hot.