Mom's Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and dumplings was always a Special Sunday dinner during the cold weather.
It's simple but so tasty.
I really haven't done much to change it over the years except to add fresh green beans.
It's a hug from Mom in a bowl.
3 ccooked chicken
5small red potatoes
1 cfresh green beans cut into 1" pieces
2 cfiltered water
3 Tbsproasted chicken better than boullian ***
1 cmilk to be added prior to dropping the dumplings
2 cbiscuit baking mix
1/2 tsppoultry seasoning
·salt and pepper to taste at serving time
How to Make Mom's Chicken and Dumplings
- Regarding the chicken. Do whatever is easiest for you.
You can use leftover roasted chicken, rotisserie chicken or you can simmer the chicken until it's done then pull the meat from it.
- Scrub the carrots then cut into 1 - 2" pieces.
Cut the celery into 1 - 2 " pieces.
Cut the onion into chunks.
- Dissolve the Better Than Boullian in the filtered water and heat to boiling in a large pot.
**** NOTE *** Mom always used those boullian cubes .. I prefer to use Better Than Boullian for a better flavor. Either way .. use what you are used to.
- Add the carrots, celery and onion to the pot of water and cook for about 30 minutes or so until they are just about tender.
- Wash and quarter the red potatoes.
Add the potatoes and the green beans to the almost finished carrots, celery and onion.
Add the chicken. Stir it all together then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are done.
NOTE: Add more filtered water as needed.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the biscuit mix and the poultry seasoning.
Add the milk and stir to incorporated. Just stir them together .. do not beat them.
The batter will be lumpy and that is desirable.
- Add the extra 1 cup of milk to the stew before dropping the dumplings.
Drop the dumplings by large spoonfuls on top of the simmering stew.
Cover and cook for about 9 minutes.
Remove the lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the stew in a bowl topped with a dumpling and salt and pepper to taste.