Mango-nnaise Ham Salad on Sourdough Rolls
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This recipe has a surprising taste and texture... and by that, I mean it's delicious! We were taken aback by how very much we loved the candied dill slices! Yum, yum yum. The Test Kitchen
- sourdough rolls, split and toasted
- 6 to 8 oz
- good quality ham, chopped in 3/8 to 1/2 inch dice (i used part of a cook's brand ham steak)
- 2/3 to 3/4 c
- frozen mango chunks (enough to make 1/4 c when defrosted and mashed)
- 1/4 c
- 2 tsp
- honey mustard
- 1/4 tsp
- mild curry powder
- 1 pinch
- cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped celery (include some chopped celery leaves if available)
- 1/2 tsp
- grated shallot (use a microplane grater if you have one)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- finely chopped candied dill pickle slices (see instructions below)
- leaves of leaf or iceberg lettuce
TO MAKE CANDIED DILL SLICES, TAKE ABOUT 15-20 DILL PICKLE SLICES AND PLACE THEM IN A SMALL JAR WITH 3 TBSP OF SUGAR. SHAKE VIGOROUSLY AND LET SIT ON THE COUNTER FOR ABOUT 2-3 HOURS, SHAKING THE JAR OCCASIONALLY TO HELP SUGAR DISSOLVE.
How to Make Mango-nnaise Ham Salad on Sourdough Rolls
- 1Start by preparing your Candied Dill Pickle slices according to the directions in the ingredients list. I chose slices because they don't take as long to candy as chunks or spears. They can be prepared as little as 2 hours before making the salad or you can make them days ahead of time for a sweeter flavor. They will draw their own juice as they sit and there is no need to refrigerate them, just shake them occasionally.
- 2Chop the ham and place in a medium bowl. Refrigerate til needed.
- 3Place the mango chunks in a small bowl lined with three or four layers of paper towels. Defrost and heat the mango chunks in the microwave oven on high for 45-60 seconds. Lay another three or four layers of towels over the softened chunks and press out as much water as possible into the towels. Remove all the towels leaving the mango in the bowl and mash the mango well with a fork.
- 4To the mashed mango, add the mayonnaise, honey mustard, celery, grated shallot, seasonings and chopped pickles and mix well. Add the mango-nnaise to the bowl with the chopped ham and mix well.
- 5Split and toast the sourdough rolls. Place the lettuce on the bottom half of the roll and top with half the ham salad. Put the top on the sandwich and serve with a few of the candied dill slices on the side.