Louisa's Sweet and Yummy Baked Beans
BUT, My Mom made theeee best baked beans.
When I got married, I asked for the recipe, and she said she didn't have a recipe and just dumped things in.
Well, I decided to try to make them and called her at work to get her help. She was furious, but she helped me by saying, "OK, start pouring ketchup.....stop...etc."
I just made them by measuring for the 1st time at age 66! Here you go! Enjoy!
- 2 lb
- navy beans (navy)
- ham bone
- 2 medium
- onions (finely chopped)
- 1 bottle
- 1 box
- brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 Tbsp
- molasses (dark) 2-4 tablespoons
- ham pieces (small)
- can substitute bacon for ham
- horseradish (if needed to counteract too much molasses)
How to Make Louisa's Sweet and Yummy Baked Beans
- 1Cook on stove all the way or switch to crock pot as indicated.
If using bacon instead of ham bone and ham, cook the bacon, but not to crispy stage. Use bacon grease, too.
- 2Soak beans in water overnight until begin to split and rinse.
- 3Put beans in large Dutch oven and boil on stove.
Continue boiling and adding water as needed.
Scrape off white foam from beans.
- 4Add Ham bone and Onion.
Continue boiling until beans are really split/soft.
Water will be thicker and no longer clear.
- 5Move to crock pot if you plan to use one.
- 6Add Ketchup. Stir. (I used about 3-4 cups)
Add Brown Sugar. Stir. (I used 4-5 cups)
Add Molasses. Stir. (I used 2-4 Tablespoons)
If too much molasses flavor, add Tablespoon Horseradish.