Light as a Feather Chive Dumplings-Annette's
My grandma had a couple different ways of making dumplings. These were the ones we made when we just wanted them plain, cooked in chicken broth or if we wanted some made with cheese sauce. You can leave the chives out, but they really do give them that little something extra.
Recipe is my own taught to me by my grandma.
- 1 large
- egg, well beaten
- 2 c
- 2/3 c
- milk (may be less)
- 1/4 c
- chopped chives
- 3 Tbsp
- melted butter
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
How to Make Light as a Feather Chive Dumplings-Annette's
- 1Sift all of your dry ingredients together.
- 2Add egg, butter, and enough milk to make a moist but stiff dough.
- 3Drop by teaspoons full into boiling chicken broth. (or liquid of your choice) If cooking in Chicken and dumplings or beef and dumplings, remove the meat to make room for the dumplings. Once they have cooked, add meat back to pot to finish heating.
- 4Cover loosely and cook 16-18 minutes. (Cooking times may vary) Use your judgement as to when the dumplings are done. It will depend on what type of liquid you are cooking them in and the amount of other ingredients you have in the pot.
If using cheese sauce. Remove the dumplings from the cooking liquid and transfer them to a plate. Top with cheese sauce and enjoy!
- 5***These can be dropped into a boiling pot of chicken soup, chili or sauerkraut or you can make a cheese sauce to pour over them which is divine! Just make sure you have some amount of liquid to cook them in no matter what you are using.
- 6CHEESE SAUCE
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar or smoky flavor Cheddar cheese or any cheese of your choice.
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
dash of hot sauce
Melt butter; remove from heat. Stir in flour and seasonings. Gradually add milk, stirring until well mixed. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Cook for 5 minutes longer; add cheese. Stir until smooth and well blended. Mix in dash of hot sauce if desired.