Lamb Tagine with Tomatoes and Potatoes
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 colive oil, extra virgin
3/4 tspground ginger
good pinchsaffron threads
2 1/2 lblamb shoulder, cut into chunks
3 qttomatoes, canned, peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
·freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 lbpotatoes, cut into medium chunks
1/2 cflat leaf parsley, plus extra for garnish
How to Make Lamb Tagine with Tomatoes and Potatoes
- Put oil and spices in a large saucepan and mix together. Add meat, turn turn few times in the spiced oil, and let marinate.
- Add tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and barely cover with water, between 1/2 and 1 cup, depending on how juicy the tomatoes are. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Pour into the tagine cook, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning the meat regularly in the sauce until the sauce is quite reduced.
- Add tomatoes and parsley, reduce heat to low. and simmer for another 30-45 minutes or until the meat and potatoes are done and the sauce is very thick. Serve hot with a good bread.
- Be careful to not use a high heat when using the tagine on a cooktop. I use a heat diffuser with mine or I have placed the tagine in the oven at 350-degrees and let the oven do the work for me.