Lamb Tagine with Tomatoes and Potatoes
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/2 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 3/4 tsp
- ground ginger
- good pinch
- saffron threads
- 2 1/2 lb
- lamb shoulder, cut into chunks
- 3 qt
- tomatoes, canned, peeled tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb
- potatoes, cut into medium chunks
- 1/2 c
- flat leaf parsley, plus extra for garnish
How to Make Lamb Tagine with Tomatoes and Potatoes
- 1Put oil and spices in a large saucepan and mix together. Add meat, turn turn few times in the spiced oil, and let marinate.
- 2Add tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and barely cover with water, between 1/2 and 1 cup, depending on how juicy the tomatoes are. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- 3Pour into the tagine cook, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning the meat regularly in the sauce until the sauce is quite reduced.
- 4Add tomatoes and parsley, reduce heat to low. and simmer for another 30-45 minutes or until the meat and potatoes are done and the sauce is very thick. Serve hot with a good bread.
- 5Be careful to not use a high heat when using the tagine on a cooktop. I use a heat diffuser with mine or I have placed the tagine in the oven at 350-degrees and let the oven do the work for me.