Lamb Shanks Braised in Stout
Note: Cooking time includes cooking the "chat potatoes"
- lamb shanks (about 1 lb. each)
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil, plus additional as needed
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 large
- onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 sprig(s)
- each fresh rosemary and fresh thyme
- 1 bottle
- irish stout (guinness or murphy's) 11 oz.
- 2 to 3 c
- chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped fresh mint
SMASHED CHAT POTATOES (RECIPE BELOW)
1-1/2 lbs. unpeeled small white potatoes
1 Tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
--Bring large saucepan of water to boil. Add potatoes; simmer over medium-low heat about 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain potatoes; return to saucepan and stir in butter until melted. Partially smash potatoes with fork. Season with salt and pepper.
**Note: In Ireland, "chat potatoes" are small white potatoes most often served whole and unpeeled after steaming or boiling. Any small potato may be substituted.