John Wayne's Peruvian Causa
I have not yet tried it, but it sounds delicious and unique - I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like it!
I understand it can be made with various ingredients, but this is Pilar's version.
Pilar said this was John Wayne's favorite dish!
Photo by Bing.
- 13 oz, light tuna or albacore chunk, water packed
- 1 large
- red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c
- lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp
- red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 lb
- russet potatoes
- 1/3 c
- vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- head boston lettuce
- hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- avocado, sliced
- black olives or green stuffed olives, sliced
- chopped parsley, if desired
How to Make John Wayne's Peruvian Causa
- 1Drain tuna, mix with onion and enough mayonnaise to hold together. Season with 1/4 cup lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Refrigerate. This is your salad mixture.
- 2Cook potatoes, whole in their skins, until soft. Peel and mash while still hot. Add salt to taste. Let cool.
- 3Add vegetable oil and two tablespoons lemon juice to potatoes. Work like dough, with your hands. Divide potato mixture into two equal parts. Form first half into a layer and place on a round platter. Spread tuna mixture over layer and top with second half of potatoes. This should look like a cake, ready to be frosted.
- 4Cover entire Causa with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Garnish all around with lettuce. Top with egg and avocado slices and black olives. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.