4 lbground beef, get the best you can afford
2 lbground pork
4 mediumsweet onion
2red/orange sweet peppers
2 largeribs of celery
1 bottlechili sauce
4 can(s)(1lb.,12 oz each) petite diced tomatoes
8 can(s)(15 1/2 oz each) assorted beans (dark red kidney, light red kidney, pinto. black, etc.) drained and save liquid
1 can(s)(15 oz) tomatoe sauce
1/4 cdiced jalapeno (the kind you put on nachos)
4 Tbspfresh chili powder
2 Tbspkosher salt
1 Tbspfresh garlic powder
1 Tbspground cinnamon
How to Make Jan's "Chicago"Chili
- Cook and stir ground beef and pork in a large fry pan. When brown, I take an old fashion turkey baster to suck out all of the fat, you will suck off about 1 ½ C of fat that you do not want in your chili!!
- In ¼ C olive oil, sauté onion, peppers, and celery in VERY LARGE stock pot till veggies are tender.
- Add meat to that VERY LARGE stock pot.
- Stir in Chili Sauce, diced tomatoes, reserved bean liquid, sauce, and seasonings. Do not add beans at this time. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours, uncovered
- Now add beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until desired consistency. Note the wonderful fragrance throughout the house!!! Might even get strangers knocking on your door!
- Makes 24 servings (1 ½ cups each) or about 8 Quarts. Freezes great for those drop in guests!
Top with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and/or fresh Jalapenos, and Oyster crackers.
Serve with GREAT French (Baguettes) bread/butter and a great beer!
Think of me when you partake and I will be forever happy!!
- I live to cook, Jan Fanning