- 4 lb
- ground beef, get the best you can afford
- 2 lb
- ground pork
- 4 medium
- sweet onion
- red/orange sweet peppers
- 2 large
- ribs of celery
- 1 bottle
- chili sauce
- 4 can(s)
- (1lb.,12 oz each) petite diced tomatoes
- 8 can(s)
- (15 1/2 oz each) assorted beans (dark red kidney, light red kidney, pinto. black, etc.) drained and save liquid
- 1 can(s)
- (15 oz) tomatoe sauce
- 1/4 c
- diced jalapeno (the kind you put on nachos)
- 1/4 c
- 4 Tbsp
- fresh chili powder
- 2 Tbsp
- kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp
- ground cinnamon
How to Make Jan's "Chicago"Chili
- 1Cook and stir ground beef and pork in a large fry pan. When brown, I take an old fashion turkey baster to suck out all of the fat, you will suck off about 1 ½ C of fat that you do not want in your chili!!
- 2In ¼ C olive oil, sauté onion, peppers, and celery in VERY LARGE stock pot till veggies are tender.
- 3Add meat to that VERY LARGE stock pot.
- 4Stir in Chili Sauce, diced tomatoes, reserved bean liquid, sauce, and seasonings. Do not add beans at this time. Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours, uncovered
- 5Now add beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes or until desired consistency. Note the wonderful fragrance throughout the house!!! Might even get strangers knocking on your door!
- 6Makes 24 servings (1 ½ cups each) or about 8 Quarts. Freezes great for those drop in guests!
Top with shredded cheese, chopped green onions and/or fresh Jalapenos, and Oyster crackers.
Serve with GREAT French (Baguettes) bread/butter and a great beer!
Think of me when you partake and I will be forever happy!!
- 7I live to cook, Jan Fanning