How To Cook a Duck1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- duck 4 to 5 pounds
- 1 Tbsp
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp
- ground black pepper
How to Make How To Cook a Duck
- 1REMOVE ANY GIBLETS from the cavity of the bird and reserve. Remove any fat deposits from the cavity and cut off excess skin around the neck.
- 2Rinse the bird under cold running water and pat dry. Sprinkle the cavity with salt and pepper.
- 3Sever the wing tips at the first joint and reserve with the giblets.
- 4Tie the legs together at the ankles and sprinkle the outside of the duck with salt and pepper.
- 5If you don't have a steamer, improvise one.
- 6Use a roasting rack or create one by placing 2 small heatproof baking dishes or loaf pans upside down in a larger roasting pan.
- 7Fill roasting pan with a 2-inch depth of water and place the bird breast up on the rack.
- 8Cover tightly with the lid or with aluminum foil.
- 9Place over high heat on top of the stove.
- 10When the water boils, reduce heat to low and steam approximately 15 minutes per pound.
- 11Remove from the heat and transfer the birds to a plate.
- 12Strain the steaming liquid into a container, cool and place in the refrigerator.
- 13When chilled, remove the fat and pack into containers, discarding any water.
- 14Place in the refrigerator until ready to cook, or in the freezer for up to 1 year.
- 15Use the fat for frying and sauteing.
- 16Place the bird on its side in a roasting pan, add reserved giblets, neck and wings, place in the oven and turn oven temperature to 350.
- 17After about 15 minutes, turn birds on the other side and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- 18Turn the bird breast up and cook another 20 minutes, basting the bird as it renders fat.
- 19In all, cook about 9 minutes per pound or about 45 minutes for a 5 pound duck, about 7 minutes per pound for an 11 pound goose.
- 20Remove the bird from the oven and set the bird aside on a platter.
- 21Remove any trussing and serve with sauce.