How to Cook a 12-Pound Cured Ham
- 12 lb
- whole cloves
- meat thermometer
How to Make How to Cook a 12-Pound Cured Ham
- 1Remove ham from the refrigerator an hour or two before you plan to begin cooking it so that it will come to room temperature.
- 2Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 3Score the ham skin and fat with a knife, creating a crisscross pattern of diamonds.
- 4Stick a whole clove into each intersection of the scoring.
- 5Put the ham into the baking pan and then put the pan in the oven.
- 6Estimate the amount of time the ham will need to cook. A 12-pound ham will take about 18 to 20 minutes per pound to bake, or roughly three and one-half to four hours. At the lowest time estimate, begin checking the internal temperature. When it reaches 160 degrees F, the ham is done.
- 7Tips & Warnings:
--Let the cooked ham rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
--If you wish to add a glaze, do so toward the end of baking. Try a brown sugar and powdered mustard coating, or melted preserves such as apricot or cherry.
--If you used whole cloves during baking, remove them when carving the ham.
--Use the leftover ham for sandwiches or casseroles, and cook the ham bone with beans for a hearty soup.
--If the ham does not reach the proper temperature, it may not be safe to eat. Be sure to cook your ham until it is thoroughly done.
--After handling the raw ham, wash your hands in warm, soapy water. Do not re-use the knife without washing.