This is a great recipe for those who do not like the salty taste of a ham. It is one of our families favorites and wonderful memory maker too. Each Holiday, one of the
Grandchildren gets to crack the blanket with a hammer, Oh believe me the camera's are out and memories are being made.. I really hope who ever tries this has as many wonderful memories as we do.
★★★★★ 2 votes5
1 cdark brown sugar
2 Tbspground cloves
2 Tbspdry mustard
1 Tbspblack pepper
as needed flwater
How to Make Ham Blanket
- Mix together all ingredients well with a fork.
- Next you will add enough water to make a nice stiff
dough, like a pie dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lay in a pan large enough to hold the ham.
- Place the ham in on top of blanket and pull up the dough so the ham is completely wrapped and sealed. If your dough is to wet it will not stay up on the ham so you will need to pat flour on to it and press it into place, keep adding flour and patting if you need to, it will not hurt it.
- Bake about an hour to two or until the crust is dark and hard. (Crust is not for eating)
- Let ham rest for half hour, before cracking. We let the children crack it with a hammer...
Toss out the crust, it is not for any one or any thing to be eating.
- After you remove the ham, if there is any juices in the pan, they make a wonderful red eye gravy.