Ham and Leek Rustic Tart
1puff pastry sheet, thawed
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
1 Tbspbutter, unsalted
2 clovegarlic, minced
1/4 cdiced onions
1leek, cleaned and sliced
2chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 tspsalt, or to taste
1/4 tsppepper, or to taste
1 dash(es)hot sauce, optional
1/2 ccooked ham, diced
1/2 ccheddar cheese, shredded and divided
How to Make Ham and Leek Rustic Tart
- Remove puff pastry sheet from freezer and allow to thaw (35-45 minutes).
- Trim green stems and ends from leek. Remove tough, green outer skin from remainder. Cut in half lengthwise and then into 1 inch segments. Place in a pot of cold water and agitate with your hand. Let sit for five minutes, agitate again, and remove with a slotted spoon. This removes any dirt from the leeks.
- Preheat oven to 425. Place the bouillon cubes in a saucepan full of water and bring to a boil. Add the leeks, reduce heat, cover and let leeks cook over low heat for five minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Set leek broth aside for future use.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat until butter is melted. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently until garlic just begins to brown. Do not let garlic brown or burn.
- Add onions, leeks salt, pepper and hot sauce (if using). Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks and onions are very tender, approximately eight minutes. If the mixture begins to dry out, add some of the leek broth.
- While mixture is cooking, spread puff pastry out preferably on a baking stone but if not on a lightly greased baking sheet. Lay a pie pan face down on the pastry and gently push down to score a circle. Poke holes throughout the inside of the circle with a fork. Sprinkle inside of circle with half the cheddar cheese.
- When onions and leeks are tender, stir in cubed ham and allow to cook for a minute or two, stirring frequently to heat through. Spoon mixture into center of puff pastry, smoothing out to edges of circle. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top of mixture.
- Fold crust outside the circle inward, pinching together to form a crust. Bake for approximately 20 minutes but check at 15 minutes to see how it is progressing.
- When edges are puffy and browned, remove tart and let sit for five minutes before serving.