Gumbo for a crowd
- 1 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 large
- onion diced
- 1 pkg
- celery stalks chopped
- 1-2 tsp
- minced garlic
- 28 oz
- tomato sauce
- 2-15 oz
- cans hunts fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
- whole chicken boiled and deboned
- 54 oz
- pkg eckrich smoked sausage
- 2 pkg
- frozen extra large shrimp (about 60)
- 1 lb
- okra either fresh or frozen
- 2-32 oz
- cartons chicken stock (you won't need all of it)
- 1/4 c
- tony chachere's cajun seasoning (green label)
- 8-10 c
- cooked rice cooked in chicken stock if desired (i use minute rice)
How to Make Gumbo for a crowd
- 1boil a 3lb chicken and de-bone and shred after its cooled. i usually boil and debone the chicken and chop all the veggies the day before so all i have to do is throw everything together the next day.save your chicken broth. also slice the smoked sausage the day before.
- 2chop onions and celery and sweat them in butter til translucent. slice the smoked sausage and brown for about 5 minutes.
- 3in a big stock pot (I use a 16 quart one) start making the roux using the oil and flour. cook on low heat stirring constantly to prevent burning till its a dark copper color. This takes about 20=30 minutes. DON"T RUSH IT!!! If it burns, throw it out and start over .
- 4When you have finished making the roux, stir in the sweated onion and celery and the garlic.
- 5Add 3 to 4 cups of chicken stock and stir till it blends in. Then add the fire roasted tomatoes and tomato sauce. Keep at a low simmer.
- 6Drain the grease off the smoked sausage and stir in. Add the shrimp, okra and chicken.Add chicken stock as needed to bring it to the desired consistency. We like ours a little thick.
- 7Add the Tony Chachere's. You can add more if not spicey enough.Add salt to taste to bring out the flavors. Let simmer till the shrimp and okra are done. About 5-10 minutes. Enjoy over rice. Makes about 8-10 quarts.