Grown-Up Grilled Cheese
Cara J Mastrangello
- 2 slice
- whole grain bread
- 2 slice
- pepper-jack cheese (sliced thin)
- 1 slice
- provolone cheese (sliced thin)
- 4 slice
- thin-cut deli style ham
- few slice
- very thin sliced tomato
- pieces of thinly sliced onion
- pieces of thinly sliced bell pepper
- 1 tsp
- sriracha mayo
- dill pickle slices, banana pepper slices, etc (optional)
- butter/margarine/nonstick spray
How to Make Grown-Up Grilled Cheese
- 1I recommend using a sandwich press/sandwich griddle for these, it is much easier than trying to keep it together and flip in a pan.
- 2While the sandwich press heats up, lightly butter/spray one side of each slice of bread.
On a non buttered side start the sandwich layers. 1 piece of pepper-jack, 2 thin deli slices of ham, the sliced tomato, onion, and bell peppers, 1 slice provolone, 2 thin deli slices of ham and 1 slice of pepper-jack. Top with last slice of bread (make sure buttered sides are out, I know usually goes without saying but some days ....)
- 3Stick on the sandwich press and carefully close all the way. Cook about 2-3 minutes and check. Cheese should be melted and gooey and bread light golden brown. MMM.
Put on a plate and carefully open just enough to drizzle some Sriracha Mayo inside and stuff with a few pickles/peppers if desired.
- 4Just in case you don't have a recipe for Sriracha Mayo, this is one that I use and keep on hand.
3/4 cup mayo
4 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp soy sauce
Mix in a bowl until smooth, refrigerate any leftover.