2 lblamb, boneless lean cut into 1
1/3 colive oil, extra virgin
1/2 clemon juice
2garlic cloves, peeled cut into quarters
1 tspfresh thyme
1 tspfresh oregano
2spanish onions cut into thin rings
24 smallromaine lettuce leaves
6 largepita bread rounds
2 cplain yogurt
1garlic clove, minced
1 tspplain yogurt
1 Tbsplemon juice
1 tspolive oil, extra virgin
1 largecucumber, minced
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Greek Gyro
- The morning before an afternoon barbecue, make marinade by combining oil, lemon juice, garlic cloves, herbs and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Remove about 1/4 cup to mix with the onions.
- Place lamb cubes in bowl with remaining marinade; toss to coat well.
- Place onions in small bowl and toss with reserved marinade.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill, up to several hours, turning several times.
- Meanwhile, make yogurt sauce by lining a medium bowl with cheesecloth and spooning in the yogurt.
- Tie up edges of cheesecloth with string to form a pouch.
- Suspend over bowl (tying from refrigerator rack above bowl), or place in a colander over bowl and let stand to drain several hours.
- Moisture will drip from the yogurt, giving it a thicker consistency.
- Mix drained yogurt with minced garlic, minced cucumber, chopped herbs, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill. (Makes about 1 cup)
- Stack pita bread rounds into 2 piles and wrap each in foil, dull side out.
- To barbecue, heat coals or gas barbecue.
- Remove meat from marinade, reserving some marinade for basting. (Discard any large garlic pieces.)
- Thread lamb onto greased skewers and grill over greased grill about 4 inches from hot coals.
- Cook, turning and basting often, about 10 minutes or until lamb is brown on the outside, still pink inside.
- Warm pita rounds over barbecue.
- Before serving, lift the onions from the marinade with a slotted spoon and place in a serving bowl.
- Cut whole tomatoes into thin wedges and place on plate and place lettuce leaves on plate.
- Set out "cucumber" sauce and lots of napkins to facilitate handling of gyros.
- To serve, cut each warmed pita bread in half and separate to form 2 pockets.
- Each person fills a warmed pita pocket with some of the grilled lamb cubes, lettuce, tomatoes and onions, topping with a spoonful of "cucumber" sauce.
- Yield: 12 gyros, 2 per person.