Fried Green Tomatoes and Grits
★★★★★ 1 vote5
8 slicegreen tomatoes
2eggs beaten with milk
1 1/4 cmilk
1 cgrits, quick-cooking
How to Make Fried Green Tomatoes and Grits
- Fry bacon until crisp in skillet, cast-iron if you have it, save the bacon grease. Drain on paper towel. Crumble up when cool.
- Combine flour and cornmeal, adding salt and pepper to taste. Beat eggs and add milk to make egg-dip.
- Heat the skillet you fried the bacon in, you may add more oil if needed to the skillet. Coat green tomato slices in flour mixture, then dip in egg, then coat with flour mixture again. Put in hot skillet and fry until golden on each side, drain on paper towel.
- In a medium pot, bring the water, milk, and salt to a boil. Slowly stir the grits into the boiling mixture. Stir continuously and thoroughly until grits are well mixed. Let the pot return to a boil, cover with a lid, lower the temperature, and cook for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more milk if necessary. Grits should be creamy but not runny. Stir in the butter.
- Place 4 green tomato slices on a plate. Put a heaping spoonful of grits on top and sprinkle the cumbled bacon evenly on the two plates.