Feijos from The Azores
- 2 c
- pink beans, picked over and soaked overnight
- 3-4 sliced bacon or similar, crisply cooked
- 1 medium
- yellow onion, diced
- garlic cloves, peeled
- cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp
- cumin powder
- 1 tsp
- coriander seed
- whole cloves
- whole allspice
- bay leaves (fresh if possible!)
- 6 oz
- tomatoes, diced or pureed (canned tomato ok!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
For additional flavor, I usually dry roast the spices in a cast iron skillet first.
Remove whole cloves, cinnamon stick and whole allspice.
Great with freshly baked, crusty bread. Tastes even better if prepared one day ahead then warmed.