Eastern European Skillet
Blue Ribbon Recipe
We loved all of the different textures in this recipe. It's a really good one pot meal. The ingredients can be kept on hand either canned or in the freezer so you can throw it together for a quick and filling meal in no time. The Test Kitchen
1 pkgPolska kielbasa or similar sausage (we use turkey kielbasa)
1 mediumyellow onion
1 can(s)Frank's kraut (or similar amount of bagged kraut); 14 oz.
3-4fist-sized yukon gold potatoes
1 boxor a dozen homemade pierogies
4-5 slice(preferably thin slices) Swiss cheese
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Eastern European Skillet
- Slice the onions into thin rings, slice the potatoes into thin slices and then in half, slice the kielbasa.
- In a large, cast iron skillet, heat fat of your choosing on medium heat and saute onions and potatoes until cooked and slightly golden. Add pepper and a small amount of salt as they cook.
- Push cooked potatoes to the side and add frozen pierogies and a little more oil or butter. Cook for 4 minutes with a lid on. Turn the pierogies and mix with the potatoes.
- Add the kielbasa and stir. Cook until slightly browned and warmed or at least 4 more minutes for frozen pierogies. Homemade can be added with the kielbasa. Add the sauerkraut and stir. Cook until warmed through.
- Top with slices of Swiss cheese and put the lid on until cheese melts. Serve from the skillet with a large green salad.