Eastern European Skillet
Blue Ribbon Recipe
I loved all of the different textures in this recipe. It's a really good one pot meal. The ingredients can be kept on hand either canned or in the freezer so you can throw it together for a quick and filling meal in no time. The Test Kitchen
- 1 pkg
- Polska kielbasa or similar sausage (we use turkey kielbasa)
- 1 medium
- yellow onion
- 1 can(s)
- Frank's kraut (or similar amount of bagged kraut); 14 oz.
- fist-sized yukon gold potatoes
- 1 box
- or a dozen homemade pierogies
- 4-5 slice
- (preferably thin slices) Swiss cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Eastern European Skillet
- 1Slice the onions into thin rings, slice the potatoes into thin slices and then in half, slice the kielbasa.
- 2In a large, cast iron skillet, heat fat of your choosing on medium heat and saute onions and potatoes until cooked and slightly golden. Add pepper and a small amount of salt as they cook.
- 3Push cooked potatoes to the side and add frozen pierogies and a little more oil or butter. Cook for 4 minutes with a lid on. Turn the pierogies and mix with the potatoes.
- 4Add the kielbasa and stir. Cook until slightly browned and warmed or at least 4 more minutes for frozen pierogies. Homemade can be added with the kielbasa. Add the sauerkraut and stir. Cook until warmed through.
- 5Top with slices of Swiss cheese and put the lid on until cheese melts. Serve from the skillet with a large green salad.