Crockpot Persian Lamb
I liked it quite a bit, though my favorite meals tend to have more spice.
Easy enough to do for a regular family meal, not just super special occasions.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- ~2 lb
- lamb (shanks are originally suggested)
- 2 large
- onions, quartered
- red potatoes (or about same volume other type of potato), quartered
- roma tomatoes, cut in large chunks
- 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- whole limu omani (dried persian limes), pierced (may be substituted with lime or lemon juice if needed...i have also substituted sour grape or pomegranate paste...something to give it tartness)
- 1 tsp
- turmeric powder
- 1 tsp
- (heaping tsp.) cinnamon
- salt & pepper, to taste (try 2 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper)
- 2 1/2 c
- 1 can(s)
- chick peas
- plain yogurt with dried mint mixed in
- pomegranate syrup to drizzle on top (optional, but very good)
- good tasting flat bread
How to Make Crockpot Persian Lamb
- 1Place all ingredients in crockpot, including the liquid from the chick peas, but not the chick peas.
Cook on high until everything is very tender.
Add the chick peas.
- 2Drain, but reserve the broth. (Or use a slotted spoon to remove almost everything from the broth.) Remove any bones.
Mash the ingredients without the broth in a bowl.
- 3To serve, I drizzle the mash with pomegranate syrup. To eat, use the flat bread to scoop mash and yogurt sauce together..
You may use the broth to serve as a soup alongside, or save for making something later.