Crawfish stuffed Merlitons/Chayote/Christphene/Veg
- 4 large merlitons or zucchini or yellow squash
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 c chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. creole or cajun seasoning
- 1 c chopped ham or breakfast sausage like jimmy dean
- 1 c chopped crawfish or shrimp,
- 1 c breadcrumbs or a 5-inch hunk of stale french bread soaked in water and squeezed dry
- 3/4 c grated cheddar cheese
How to Make Crawfish stuffed Merlitons/Chayote/Christphene/Veg
- 1Boil Merlitons in water to cover until tender. (40-60) minutes. Cut in half and remove the soft seed.
Drain cut side down on paper towels.
- 2In butter and oil sate onions, garlic and bell pepper until soft.
Carefully scoop the flesh out of the squash, leaving the shell intact! Mash it up. Add to the onion mixture. Stir and add seasoning, ham or sausage and seafood of choice.Cook over medium heat, stirring often for about 15 minutes. Add bread crumbs, stir well.Remove from heat.
- 3Fill the shells. Sprinkle with cheese.
NOTE: I have also used fresh breadcrumbs tossed with melted butter for a topping instead or with the cheese. :-)
- 4Place in a baking dish and bake @ 350F about 20 minutes until top is browned.
These freeze well and need to thaw before baking.