We not only just boil them but use the left overs to make this special dish, a favorite with the locals and tourists alike.
Crawfish meat can be used as a substitute in many shrimp dishes as well. In most grocery stores you can buy frozen crawfish tail meat, just don't buy the crawfish from China, buy Louisiana they are tastier. I have found the Chinese crawfish have a rubbery texture and a fishy taste.
This is truely a cajun recipe, hope you enjoy.
2 lbfrozen crawfish tail meat
1 cchopped onion
1/2 cgreen bell pepper chopped
1/4 ccelery chopped
1 Tbspparsley flakes
2 Tbspgreen onions chopped
1/2 tspliquid crab boil (optional)
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 1/2 Tbspcayenne pepper (or to taste)
3 ccooked rice
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup (optional)
1/2 can(s)water, as needed
How to Make Crawfish Etouffe
- Thaw frozen crawfish tails in cool bath of water, while melting butter.
- Melt butter on med heat in sauce pan
- Once butter is melted, add chopped onions, bell pepper, celery, and cook until tender.
- Add thawed crawfish tails, cayenne pepper, salt, crab boil. Crawfish meat is already cooked so don't over cook them. Cook on medium heat until everything looks like it has all come together.
- Add parsley flakes and green onions, simmer for approximately 5 min.
- Add can of Cream of Mushroom soup and 1/2 can of water to mixture, simmer on low to medium until soup is creamy consistency, simmer and additional 5 minutes, serve hot over rice or your favorite pasta.