★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 to 3 lbvenison brisket, flank or shoulder roast, up to one inch thick
2 qtspring water or distilled water
1/2 ccanning and pickling salt
2 Tbspmixed pickling spice
8whole black peppercorns
1 or 2cloves of garlic, minced
How to Make Corned Venison
- Roll brisket or flank loosely and tie. Place in a large glass mixing bowl or a large oven cooking bag.
- In a glass or enamel saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just to boiling.
- Remove from heat and cool
- Pour cooled brine over meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or, if using oven cooking bag, squeeze the bag to remove air, then twist neck of bag and seal.
- Refrigerate for 5 days, turning meat occasionally.
- Drain and rinse meat with cold water.
- To prepare corned meat, place in a dutch oven, cover with cold water, and heat to boiling.
- Drain. Cover with cold water. Heat again to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, approximately 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.