★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 to 3 lb
- venison brisket, flank or shoulder roast, up to one inch thick
- 2 qt
- spring water or distilled water
- 1/2 c
- canning and pickling salt
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- mixed pickling spice
- bay leaves
- whole black peppercorns
- 1 or 2
- cloves of garlic, minced
How to Make Corned Venison
- 1Roll brisket or flank loosely and tie. Place in a large glass mixing bowl or a large oven cooking bag.
- 2In a glass or enamel saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Heat just to boiling.
- 3Remove from heat and cool
- 4Pour cooled brine over meat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or, if using oven cooking bag, squeeze the bag to remove air, then twist neck of bag and seal.
- 5Refrigerate for 5 days, turning meat occasionally.
- 6Drain and rinse meat with cold water.
- 7To prepare corned meat, place in a dutch oven, cover with cold water, and heat to boiling.
- 8Drain. Cover with cold water. Heat again to boiling.
- 9Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, approximately 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.