Mertzie's Corned Beef & Cabbage - crockpot
- corned beef brisket, trimmed well
- 3 bottle
- (or cans) Guiness (i've used other lighter beer & it's just as good!)
- 1 lb
- bag baby carrots or 10 whole carrots cut in large chunks
- 3 lb
- red potatoes, depending on size either whole or in very large chunks (i keep skin on)
- onion in large chunks
- head cabbage, in large chunks
- ground black pepper, caraway seed
- bay leaves and/or celery seed (optional to add w/ brisket to crockpot)
How to Make Mertzie's Corned Beef & Cabbage - crockpot
- 1Add 2 cans of beer to Dutch Oven & add corned beef brisket. Add water until brisket is covered. (Note: if you have any leftover onion, throw it in there too cook with it).
- 2Bring to boil on the stove & then simmer for about 15 mins. You are not cooking the meat through, just getting rid of some of the fat & grease. Remove the brisket & pull off any remaining fat. Discard the juices in Dutch Oven.
- 3Sprinkle the beef with some ground pepper and add to large crockpot. Add 1 can of beer. I usually cook the brisket for about 3 hours on high before adding the veggies.
- 4Turn crockpot to low setting & then add the potatoes & onions. When the brisket is starting to fall apart (about 5/6 hours) & the potatoes are tender, remove about 1/2 cup of the juices & set aside. Add the carrots & recover crockpot.
- 5Now, in a Dutch Oven, add the cabbage & cook over medium heat until it starts to get tender. Keep adding some of the brisket juices you set aside to stir in with the cabbage for flavor. I add more ground black pepper.
- 6You're ready to chow! We serve everything together, as I think that's what gives it such great flavor. Enjoy! We love this with crusty rolls to dip in the juice and homemade applesauce & corn on the side.