Mertzie's Corned Beef & Cabbage - crockpot
·corned beef brisket, trimmed well
3 bottle(or cans) Guiness (i've used other lighter beer & it's just as good!)
1 lbbag baby carrots or 10 whole carrots cut in large chunks
3 lbred potatoes, depending on size either whole or in very large chunks (i keep skin on)
1onion in large chunks
1head cabbage, in large chunks
·ground black pepper, caraway seed
2bay leaves and/or celery seed (optional to add w/ brisket to crockpot)
How to Make Mertzie's Corned Beef & Cabbage - crockpot
- Add 2 cans of beer to Dutch Oven & add corned beef brisket. Add water until brisket is covered. (Note: if you have any leftover onion, throw it in there too cook with it).
- Bring to boil on the stove & then simmer for about 15 mins. You are not cooking the meat through, just getting rid of some of the fat & grease. Remove the brisket & pull off any remaining fat. Discard the juices in Dutch Oven.
- Sprinkle the beef with some ground pepper and add to large crockpot. Add 1 can of beer. I usually cook the brisket for about 3 hours on high before adding the veggies.
- Turn crockpot to low setting & then add the potatoes & onions. When the brisket is starting to fall apart (about 5/6 hours) & the potatoes are tender, remove about 1/2 cup of the juices & set aside. Add the carrots & recover crockpot.
- Now, in a Dutch Oven, add the cabbage & cook over medium heat until it starts to get tender. Keep adding some of the brisket juices you set aside to stir in with the cabbage for flavor. I add more ground black pepper.
- You're ready to chow! We serve everything together, as I think that's what gives it such great flavor. Enjoy! We love this with crusty rolls to dip in the juice and homemade applesauce & corn on the side.