- (13 x 9 pan) prepared cornbread
- 4 - 6
- ribs celery, sliced
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 2 - 4
- bell peppers, chopped
- 2 - 3 Tbsp
- ground sage, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- poultry seasoning
- 1 Tbsp
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 - 2 qt
- homemade chicken stock
- 3 - 4 large
- eggs, slightly beaten
How to Make Cornbread-Sage Dressing
- 1Preheat oven to 325 F.
- 2Crumble the cornbread into a deep roasting pan.
- 3Add celery, onion and bell peppers. Mix well (I use my hands here.)
- 4Gradually stir in chicken broth. (This is where I use a long-handled wooden or metal spoon)
- 5Add sage, poultry seasoning and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- 7Taste the dressing and adjust any seasoning as needed. (Be careful, the sage and poultry seasoning are a little salty.)
- 8Slightly beat the eggs in a small bowl and add to the cornbread mixture. Stir the mixture until the egg is completely combined.
- 9Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil and seal to keep in steam. Bake in the oven for 2 hours.
- 10Remove foil and bake another 45 minutes to 1 hr. It should be lightly golden on top....not dark brown.