1(13 x 9 pan) prepared cornbread
4 - 6ribs celery, sliced
1 largeonion, chopped
2 - 4bell peppers, chopped
2 - 3 Tbspground sage, or to taste
1 Tbsppoultry seasoning
1 Tbspblack pepper
·salt to taste
1 - 2 qthomemade chicken stock
3 - 4 largeeggs, slightly beaten
How to Make Cornbread-Sage Dressing
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Crumble the cornbread into a deep roasting pan.
- Add celery, onion and bell peppers. Mix well (I use my hands here.)
- Gradually stir in chicken broth. (This is where I use a long-handled wooden or metal spoon)
- Add sage, poultry seasoning and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Taste the dressing and adjust any seasoning as needed. (Be careful, the sage and poultry seasoning are a little salty.)
- Slightly beat the eggs in a small bowl and add to the cornbread mixture. Stir the mixture until the egg is completely combined.
- Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil and seal to keep in steam. Bake in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove foil and bake another 45 minutes to 1 hr. It should be lightly golden on top....not dark brown.