Chow Mein-Beef, Chicken, Pork,BBQ Pork, Vegetarian
I enjoy using the wok that I bought back then but the recipe can also be prepared in a large frying pan.
This is a good use for leftover meat but can be made vegetarian by eliminating the meat.
- 8 oz
- chow mein noodles
- 1 lb
- fresh bean sprouts
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery, angle sliced
- 1 large
- cooking onion, sliced thin
- 2 - 3 c
- thin shredded cabbage or 2-3 stalks bok choy
- 6 - 8
- chinese mushrooms or 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 - 1/3 c
- bamboo shoots slivered thin, 1 1/2 - 2 inches long
- 1 1/2 to 2 c
- cooked meat, slivered thin (optional)
- green onions, slivered (save some for garnish)
- egg for garnish
- 3/4 tsp
- 1 tsp
- soy sauce
- 1 - 2 Tbsp
- oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 - 2 c
- beef or chicken stock
- peanut oil for frying or use an oil of your choice. must tolerate high heat so don't use olive oil.
How to Make Chow Mein-Beef, Chicken, Pork,BBQ Pork, Vegetarian
- 1Have all vegetables prepared and other ingredients measured before you start cooking. Make the egg garnish by mixing the yolk and white thoroughly in a small bowl. Heat a small frying pan and pour the egg in as if you were making a crepe. It cooks very quickly then remove to a cutting board. Roll up the egg crepe and slice thinly. Put aside while you make the stir fry.
- 2Heat the wok on high heat. Put a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil in the pan to cover the bottom of the wok. Then stir-fry in order - onions, celery, cabbage, bok chop , bean sprouts, mushrooms, salt, soy sauce, bamboo shoots, meat and green onion. As you stir fry each ingredient, pause and the push the vegetable slightly up the side of the wok so the next ingredient is put on the hot spot in the centre of the wok.
- 3Make a well in the centre of the ingredients in the wok. Put the noodles in and pour part of stock over them and mix well. When liquid is absorbed add more stock 1/2 cup at a time until noodles are moist enough. (Al dente)
- 4Put the chow mien stir fry onto a large plate and garnish with egg and green onion.
Serve with vinegar, hot sauces and sesame seeds.