Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas with Smoky Guac
- ripe haas avocados
- lime, juice of
- a few pinches of salt
- 1/4 c
- sour cream
- chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1/2 lb
- mexican chorizo sausage, taken out of the casings
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 clove
- garlic, cracked away from skin and crushed
- 12 large
- shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12-inch flour tortillas
- 2 c
- shredded pepper jack cheese
How to Make Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas with Smoky Guac
- 1Guac: Cut avocados all the way around with a sharp knife. Scoop out pit with a spoon, then spoon avocado flesh away from skin into a food processor. Add lime juice, salt, sour cream and chiptoles in adobo. Pulse guacamole until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- 2Quesadillas: Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Brown chorizo 2-3 minutes, then remove from pan. Add the olive oil and garlic, then shrimp. Season shrimp with salt and pepper, and cook until pink, 2-3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a cutting board and coarsely chop. Add a drizzle of oil to the pan, then a tortilla. Cook tortilla 30 seconds, then turn. Cover half of the tortilla with a couple handfuls of cheese. Arrange a layer of chorizo and shrimp over the cheese, and fold tortilla over. Press down gently with a spatula and cook tortilla a minute or so on each side to melt cheese and crisp.
- 3Remove quesadilla to a large cutting board and repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut each quesadilla into 5 wedges and transfer to plates with your spatula. Top wedges of quesadillas with liberal amounts of smoky guacamole.