Chamorro Red Rice
How to Make Chamorro Red Rice
- Soak achote in 2 cups of warm water for about 30 minutes.
- Add salt to the achote and water, rubbing the achote seeds against each other until the water becomes a dark orangey red (the darker the better). Strain the liquid out into a little bowl. This stuff will stain your hands, clothes, and possibly your cooking materials.
- In a small pot, boil the achote water and add in the rinsed calrose rice with two cups of water.
- Add salt, oil, and onions.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high for about five minutes (or until the liquid has evaporated). Pay attention! Don't let the achote burn on the bottom of the pan. People often burn their red rice because they aren't watching the heat. Be patient. :)
- Cover and reduce the heat to low for about 15 to 20 minutes (or until the rice is fully cooked).