Braised Duck with Orange-And-Lime Sauce (Zanzibar)1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
1/4 cvegetable oil
2 cchicken stock
1chili pepper, seeded and stemmed
1/2 corange juice
2 Tbsplime juice
1/2 cred bell pepper, finely chopped
·orange, wedges studded with cloves
How to Make Braised Duck with Orange-And-Lime Sauce (Zanzibar)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Pat the duck completely dry inside and out with paper towels, and remove the large chunks of fat from the cavity.
- Cut off the loose neck skin and truss the bird securely, then prick the surface around the thighs, the back and the lower part of the breast with a skewer or the point of a sharp knife.
- In a heavy 5 to 6 quart casserole, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it.
- Add the duck and, turning it frequently with a slotted spoon or tongs, cook for about 15 minutes, or until it browns richly on all sides.
- Transfer the duck to a plate and discard the fat remaining in the casserole.
- Pour in 1 cup of the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat, meanwhile scraping in any brown particles that cling to the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Stir in the cloves and chill, then return the duck and the liquids that have accumulated around it to the casserole.
- Cover tightly and braise in the middle of the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the duck to a plate, and with a large spoon skim as much fat as possible from the surface.