Braised Duck with Orange-And-Lime Sauce (Zanzibar)1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
How to Make Braised Duck with Orange-And-Lime Sauce (Zanzibar)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350.
- 2Pat the duck completely dry inside and out with paper towels, and remove the large chunks of fat from the cavity.
- 3Cut off the loose neck skin and truss the bird securely, then prick the surface around the thighs, the back and the lower part of the breast with a skewer or the point of a sharp knife.
- 4In a heavy 5 to 6 quart casserole, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it.
- 5Add the duck and, turning it frequently with a slotted spoon or tongs, cook for about 15 minutes, or until it browns richly on all sides.
- 6Transfer the duck to a plate and discard the fat remaining in the casserole.
- 7Pour in 1 cup of the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat, meanwhile scraping in any brown particles that cling to the bottom and sides of the pan.
- 8Stir in the cloves and chill, then return the duck and the liquids that have accumulated around it to the casserole.
- 9Cover tightly and braise in the middle of the oven for 1 hour.
- 10Remove the duck to a plate, and with a large spoon skim as much fat as possible from the surface.