Boiled Maine Lobster
Daune (pronounced "Dawn") Browne
How to Make Boiled Maine Lobster
- Fill a large stock pot full of water and add salt or a piece of seaweed. Bring the water to a boil and then TURN OFF the heat.
- Place the live lobsters into the pot, keeping your hand well away from the claws. Lower them in claws first.
- Bring the water slowly back to a boil and cook the lobsters for about 15 minutes or until they turn bright red.
- Remove them from the water and drain briefly on paper towel. Place on a plate and garnish the plate with lemon wedges. Serve with individual dishes of melted butter for dipping. The lemons can be squeezed into your melted butter, if desired.
- NOTES: TIME--allow about 20 minutes for the water to boil, and 15 minutes for cooking the lobster.
PREPARATION: This method of cooking puts the lobster gently to sleep and makes the lobster flesh much more tender. Claws can be partially cracked before serving, if desired.