Bev Huhndorf's Moose Head
Please, if you make this, let me know how it turns out, Moose meat is not readily available to me, and I admit, I'm curious.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
·moose head, fresh
·spices for moose head soup
·water, as needed
·vegetables of choice
·rice or macaroni
HEAD CHEESE INGREDIENTS
1large onion, peeled and studded with
3large bay leaves
6 Tbspdry parsley
6-8sprigs green celery tops
1/2 tspthyme, dried
1 Tbspsage, dried
1/2bottle dry white wine
·cayenne pepper, to taste
·sage, dried, to taste
·nutmeg, ground, to taste
How to Make Bev Huhndorf's Moose Head
- Skin and cut to fit in large kettle. When Cutting head, remove nose and put in separate kettle, parboil for 45 minutes. Remove and cool in cold water. Pick off hairs as you would feathers from a duck and wash thoroughly.
- Boil head, skimming as it boils. Cook until meat can easily be removed from bone. Cut into bite size pieces and add vegetables, rice, macaroni, and seasonings for moose head soup.
- To make Head Cheese instead of soup:
- Make bouquet garni by tying onion, bay leaves, parsley, celery, thyme, and sage in a square of cheesecloth, and add to boiling head.
- Add tongue, and any scrap meat not used elsewhere (such as neck bones).
- Add wine to boiling head.
- After 90 minutes, remove tongue
- When meat is done, cut meat and tongue into very small pieces. Strain and reserve liquid.
- Drop Brains into a little of the boiling liquid, simmer 15 minutes. Remove, drain and add to meat and tongue.
- Season with cayenne, sage and nutmeg to taste.
- Mix all very well.
- Pack mixture into loaf pans, pressing firmly
- Pour 1/2 c lukewarm liquid over each loaf.
- Chill 48 hours before using.
- Slice and serve.