Bev Huhndorf's Moose Head
Please, if you make this, let me know how it turns out, Moose meat is not readily available to me, and I admit, I'm curious.
- moose head, fresh
- spices for moose head soup
- water, as needed
- vegetables of choice
- rice or macaroni
- large onion, peeled and studded with
- whole cloves
- large bay leaves
- 6 Tbsp
- dry parsley
- sprigs green celery tops
- 1/2 tsp
- thyme, dried
- 1 Tbsp
- sage, dried
- bottle dry white wine
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- sage, dried, to taste
- nutmeg, ground, to taste
HEAD CHEESE INGREDIENTS
How to Make Bev Huhndorf's Moose Head
- 1Skin and cut to fit in large kettle. When Cutting head, remove nose and put in separate kettle, parboil for 45 minutes. Remove and cool in cold water. Pick off hairs as you would feathers from a duck and wash thoroughly.
- 2Boil head, skimming as it boils. Cook until meat can easily be removed from bone. Cut into bite size pieces and add vegetables, rice, macaroni, and seasonings for moose head soup.
- 3To make Head Cheese instead of soup:
- 4Make bouquet garni by tying onion, bay leaves, parsley, celery, thyme, and sage in a square of cheesecloth, and add to boiling head.
- 5Add tongue, and any scrap meat not used elsewhere (such as neck bones).
- 6Add wine to boiling head.
- 7After 90 minutes, remove tongue
- 8When meat is done, cut meat and tongue into very small pieces. Strain and reserve liquid.
- 9Drop Brains into a little of the boiling liquid, simmer 15 minutes. Remove, drain and add to meat and tongue.
- 10Season with cayenne, sage and nutmeg to taste.
- 11Mix all very well.
- 12Pack mixture into loaf pans, pressing firmly
- 13Pour 1/2 c lukewarm liquid over each loaf.
- 14Chill 48 hours before using.
- 15Slice and serve.