★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 slice
- bacon, cut into 1 inch-pieces
- 1/2 c
- chopped celery
- green bell pepper, chopped; also add one small to medium chopped onion or 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 lb
- cooked ham, diced (1 1/2 cups): (optional)
- 1/2 lb
- cooked kielbasa, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 1- 28 oz can(s)
- diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can(s)
- (10 1/2- 14 oz.) of 'low sodium' beef or chicken broth: homemade gives best flavor
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- chopped fresh thyme or dried
- 1 tsp
- dried cajun seasoning or to taste (optional)
- 1-1/4 c
- uncooked regular long-grain white rice
How to Make Baked Jambalaya
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 13x9-inch (3 quart) glass baking dish with non stick cooking spray. In 3-quart saucepan, cook bacon over med-high heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp. Remove bacon from saucepan; drain on paper towel.
- 2To drippings in saucepan, add celery, bell pepper and onions; cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Add ham (optional), kielbasa, tomatoes, broth, water, thyme and Cajun seasoning (optional); mix well. Heat to boiling. Stir in rice and cooked bacon. Pour mixture into baking dish. Cover with foil.
- 3Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir before serving.
Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups each)
- 4Cook's Note
To give this recipe that New Orleans flare, add 8 ounces of cooked shrimp.
- 5Nutrition Information;
(1) serving: Calories 370 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 5g, Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 1560mg (on average) if not using low sodium broth). Total Carbohydrate 42g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 5g), Protein 19g.