- 2 c
- masarepa or finely ground american grits
- 1 tsp
- salt (omitted)
- 2 c
- warm water
- 2/3-3/4 c
- grated cheese (i like a sharp white cheddar for arepas)
- butter or oil suitable for frying at higher heat
How to Make Arepas 101
- 1Directions taken from the back package of Goya™ brand masarepa: In a mixing bowl stir together 2 cups masarepa or the finely ground grits, salt (if using) 2 cups warm water and the shredded cheese. Let set 5 minutes.
- 2Heat up the oil or butter a large cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- 3Shape the dough into 4" round circles and approximately 1/2" thick. Tip: I use a tortilla press to shape the circles.
- 4Fry the arepas in batches and without crowding on each side 2-3 minutes until golden brown. See aside to drain then serve.
We enjoy our arepas with any or all of the following: hot sauce/salsa or fresh tomato slices, avocado, fried egg, lettuce.