TEX-MEX BEEF ENCHILADAS (SALLYE)
- 2-3 lb
- coarse ground chuck
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil
- 1 medium
- white onion
- 2-3 medium
- jalapeno or serrano peppers
- 1/3 bunch
- fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp
- chili powder
- 1 Tbsp
- smoked paprika
- 1 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 tsp
- ground black pepper
- homemade corn or flour torillas (links in comments or can use store-bought)
- 1 c
- grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 c
- grated mexican blend cheese
- 2-3 c
- **enchilada sause RED HOT ENCHILADA SAUCE (SALLYE) in comments)
How to Make TEX-MEX BEEF ENCHILADAS (SALLYE)
Cook Red Hot Enchilada sauce (recipe RED HOT ENCHILADA SAUCE (SALLYE) and set aside.
**NOTE:: you can use store bought enchilada sauce if you wish.
Preheat oven to 350º
Peel onion and cut into quarters, place in food processor. Cut peppers in half, remove stems, seeds and veins and add to food processor
Cut stems from cilantro, and add leaves only to food processor.
Pulse until finely minced; leave in processor for now
Toss two cheeses together in bowl and set aside.
- 2Heat large heavy non-stick skillet (I use my cast iron) to medium high heat, then add cooking oil,ground chuck, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until meat is "grey".
Add onions, peppers and cilantro from food processor and cook about two more minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside
- 3Lightly grease a 9" x 13" baking dish and set aside.
Place 4-6 tortillas at a time on paper towel, cover with another paper towel and place in microwave for 20 seconds to soften. (Note: You need to do this in 2 or 3 bunches or the tortillas will get cold while you are working with them)
Remove from microwave and place on cutting board or large piece of waxed paper.
Take one tortilla and spoon meat mixture down center, sprinkle with a small amount of grated cheese, then roll up and place "seams down" in baking dish.
Continue preparing one at a time until all tortillas and meat are used. (It's okay to scrunch the tortillas together, they will still cook)
- 4Pour the enchilada sauce over the entire dish, sprinkle remainder of cheese over top. You can add more cheese if desired (we like lots of cheese on ours)
Place in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until cheese is crusty and bubbly.
- 5Serve with salsa, charro or refried beans, and spanish rice for an authentic Tex-Mex platter.