Spanish Omlet "Tortilla Espanola"
- 4 large
- red potatoes, peeled and sliced as if for french fries
- 1/2 large
- vidalia onion or red spanish onion diced small
- 1 lb
- bacon, fried crisp
- 1/4 large
- fresh green sweet pepper diced small
- 1/4 large
- fresh red sweet pepper diced small
- 2 clove
- garlic diced very small or put through a garlic press
- 6 large
- eggs beat just lightly as if for scrambled eggs
- 1 large
- link of spanish chorizo (sausage) if not available use cajun sausage cut in small slices. you can also use diced ham small
- 1 1/2 c
- olive oil or canola oil for frying potatoes
- 1/2 tsp
- spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp
- salt & black pepper to suit your taste.
How to Make Spanish Omlet "Tortilla Espanola"
- 1I a skillet first fry pound bacon until crisp remove from skillet, crumple and set aside. Save bacon grease in skillet and set aside.
- 2Next peel potaotes and cut as if for making french fries. Then cut strips of potatoes in half. Heat canola oil or olive oil in another large cast iron skillet. If you don't own one you need to get one it is a must in a cooks kitchen. Fry your potatoes until golden. Take out and drain on paper towels. Salt just a little and set aside.
- 3Now back to the first skillet with bacon greese, heat grease and saute your onion, green and red peppers and garlic until just limp about 5/6 minutes. remove into a seperate dish and add sliced chorizo or cajun sausage or diced ham. Saute sausage or ham for about 3/4 minutes. Remove meat to a seperate dish.
- 4Next return to your large cast iron skillet drain out all but 1/4 cup of oil turn up heat to medium do not turn your heat up to high. when oil gets hot add your fried potatoes, peppers, garlic, onions, sausage, and crumbled bacon. (save some bacon for garnish) Add salt black pepper and Spanish paprika to the mixture. Pour over the potato mixture your slightly beaten eggs. cover and let cook slowly on medium low heat for about 6/8 minutes.
- 5After 6/8 minutes uncover check to see if eggs have begun to set. If omlet is still watery on top cover and let cook slowly 5 more minutes. With a pancake turner or spatula begin to run your spatula all around the edge of the omlet breaking it away from the edge of the skillet. Next run your spatula underneath the omlet all the way around the skillet. Do this very gently so as to not break-up the omlet. Begin to lift up the omlet from the bottom of the skillet little by little all the way around so as to make sure the omlet is not sticking to the bottom of the skillet. When you are sure that the omlet has been totaly lifted all the way around and not sticking to any part of the skillet then cover skillet with a large plate (plate must totaly cover the skillet) and flip skillet over onto the plate. Omlet will drop onto the plate. Immediately slide omlet back into the skillet so as to cook the top side. Cook another 5 minutes over low flame. Serve immediately with saved crumbled bacon on top as garnish. Enjoy
- 6Note: This dish is not hard but one must be careful that the eggs have set before flipping the omlet over. If you are leary of flipping the skillet over you may put the skillet in a hot oven to finish cooking the eggs. Omlet is done when eggs are set and toothpick comes out clean. Seperate your omlet from the pan all around and slide onto a dish and serve. Omlet will be about 3/4 inches thick. slice into wedges and serve. "Buen Provecho" Enjoy