Southwestern Chili Corn Pizza (or with chicken)
I found this amazing recipe in a California newspaper back in the 1990's. It is so good and different.
I only made a couple of changes (like using pepper jack cheese instead of mozarella and a couple of changes in the spices) and I had a pizza I personally really liked.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- pizza crust, home made, premade like boboli or refrigerated dough
- 2 Tbsp
- yellow cornmeal
- 1 c
- fresh salsa
- 2 c
- shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 can(s)
- (4 ounces) chopped mild chilis (drained)
- 1 c
- fresh or frozen corn kernals
- chopped green onions
- 2-4 Tbsp
- grated dry parmesan cheese
How to Make Southwestern Chili Corn Pizza (or with chicken)
- 1Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place oven rack in lowest position. If using Boboli (or other pre-baked crust) crust omit this step.
Sprinkle bottom of pizza stone, cookie sheet or pizza pan with cornmeal. Place pizza crust on baking surface. Bake for 5-7 minutes until crust is lightly browned.
- 2Spread salsa over crust leaving about a 1/2 inch border on edge with no sauce. Next sprinkle with grated cheese, then cumin, next basil, then chilis, then corn, and then green onions. Finally top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 500 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until toppings are heated through and edge of crust is browned. Remove from oven and let stand about 5 minutes before cutting.
- 3VARIATION: Add 1/2 cup cooked chopped chicken breast meat right after placing salsa on pizza crust. Follow remaining directions as specified. You may need to bake 2 or 3 minutes longer. Watch closely so it does not burn.