South of the border pie
- cornmeal pastry, recipe follows
- one can refried beans, 16 ounces
- one can green chiles, drained and chopped
- 2 to 4 drops red pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- two tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
How to Make South of the border pie
- 1heat oven to 475°. Make cornmeal pastry. Bake until light Brown, 8 to 10 minutes; cool.
- 2Reduce oven temperature to 400. Mix beans, chilies, and pepper sauce; spread over crust.
- 3Mash avocado. Mix in sour cream and lemon juice; reserve. Arrange tomatoes around edge of pan.
- 4Arrange onion in ring around tomatoes. Spoon reserved avocado mixture into ring next to onion; sprinkle avocado mixture with cheese.
- 5Place green pepper in center. Bake until hot and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Makes four servings or 16 appetizers
- 6cornmeal pastry:
1/3 cup +1 tablespoon shortening or 1/3 cup lard
1 cup flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoons salt
3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
cut shortening into flour, cornmeal and salt until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl. Gather pastry into a ball; shape into flattened round on lightly floured cloth covered board. Roll pastry 1 inch larger than inverted 12 inch pizza pan. Fold pastry into quarters; place in pan. Unfold and ease into pan, pressing firmly against bottom and side. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pan. Fold and roll pastry under, even with pan; flute if desired. Prick bottom and side thoroughly with fork.