sour cream enchiladas Colorado
this classic New Mexico presentation is all about the flavor of Chiles. These enchiladas with red sauce,( that's what Colorado means,) can be made of any tortillas and sauce, but they soar if you make your own tortillas or buy the best in a specialty food store. And for the very best results, purée Chiles instead of using a prepared enchilada sauce.Unknown source
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 -- 3 cups purée chiles or enchilada sauce, hot or mild, to taste
- 2 1/2 cup sharp cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- four eggs, fried sunny side up, optional
- 1 cup sour cream
- shredded lettuce as garnish
How to Make sour cream enchiladas Colorado
- 1heat the oil in a skillet and fry the tortillas one by one, flipping each just one time, cooking them only long enough to soften them, about 15 to 25 seconds. Do not fry them crisp. Drain
- 2Quickly dip tortilla in red sauce and place it on a serving plate. Sprinkle it with cheese and onion.
- 3Continue, layer cake style, until each plate is topped with three tortillas and three layers of cheese and onion. Top with extra sauce if desired and an optional egg. Add a dollop of sour cream to each serving. Garnish with lettuce. Serves four.