PUFFY CHILES RELLENOS
The photo is my own. Recipe by Recipe Jungle with my own tweaks.
How to Make PUFFY CHILES RELLENOS
- Remove 8 large chilis from the can, slit one side to open it up, gently rinse and remove seeds. Blot dry with paper towels or the dough will get too wet to handle.
- Remove the biscuits from the can. Put on a lightly floured board. Pat the biscuit and stretch it into a rectangle shape, careful not to tear it. Cut the cheese into 8 sticks, 1/4 inch wide by about 3 inches long.
Then wrap the cheese in a chili and place inside the biscuit triangle and seal the edges.
- Place the puffy chiles rellenos on the greased cookie sheet seam side facing UP.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven about 12 minutes until light brown, and while they are baking, make the topping.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Beat the eggs and the salt with a whisk and then fold them into the egg whites, just until mixed.
- Open the oven door, and pull out the chiles rellenos and spoon the egg mixture in mounds over the top of each one, hiding the seam, as depicted in my photo. Close the oven door and continue to bake them until the topping is golden brown, about and additional 15 minutes. Serve with heated chunky salsa. Enjoy!
- Cook's Tip: This is a recipe you can have fun with. Try adding a little cooked chicken, beef, sausage, or cooked onions with the cheese. Use your imagination. This is a great change from sandwiches for lunch, and is a great way to use up your leftovers.