Okra Rellenos (Cinco de Mayo, y'all)
How to Make Okra Rellenos (Cinco de Mayo, y'all)
- Wash okra pods then slit each open lengthwise & remove the seeds. Do not split the pod completely; it needs to become a "jacket" for the filling.
- Fill each de-seeded pod with pimento cheese spread (with or without jalapenos, homemade or not, your choice).
- Dip each filled pod in milk & then dredge in flour that has been salted & peppered to taste.
- Place cast iron skillet on stovetop, add peanut oil, & then once oil is hot, add okra rellenos. Do not overcrowd pan. Several frying sessions may be required depending on how much okra you are preparing.
- Once nicely browned, remove rellenos with a slotted spoon, plate up & enjoy.